The Duke of Edinburgh Award is an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding programme of personal development which is of the highest quality and widest reach.
As part of the Academy's Pupil Premium strategy, we are determined to engage all young people in Years 9-13 in the Duke of Edinburgh Award programme. Students have already taken part in a number of rewarding expeditions and we are now rolling out the programme to more students with the appointment of Miss Monaghan as our Duke of Edinburgh Coordinator.
The Award Scheme, a registered charity, is a voluntary non-competitive programme of activities for anyone aged 14-25. It provides individual challenge and encourages young people to undertake constructive, challenging and enjoyable activities in their free time.
The Award is a four section programme with three progressive levels: Bronze, Silver and Gold. The sections involve: Volunteering (helping the community); Skill (a hobby, skill or interest); Physical (sports, dance, fitness); Expeditions (on foot, cycle, horseback, or water).
The four sections aim to develop different skills:
- Volunteering - to encourage service to individuals and the community
- Skill - to encourage the discovery and development of personal interests and social and practical skills
- Physical - to encourage participation and improvement in physical activity
- Expeditions - to encourage a spirit of adventure and discovery
There is an additional requirement at Gold level:
- Residential Project - to broaden experience through involvement with others in a residential setting
Benefits to Participants
In taking part, participants develop:
- a sense of identity
- independence - of thought and action
- a sense of responsibility
- an awareness of their potential
- new talents and abilities
- an understanding of strengths and weaknesses
- the ability to plan and use time effectively
- the ability to learn from and give to others in the community
- new relationships
- skills including problem solving, presentation and communication
- the ability to lead and work as part of a team
We look forward to putting Duke of Edinburgh at the heart of our approach to the Pupil Premium and personal development so that all of our students benefit from this exceptional learning experience. If you would like more information on the scheme and how to take part please contact Miss Monaghan in school.