At The Farnley Academy we recognise that there is a very clear relationship between the regularity with which students attend school and their academic achievement.
Students with good attendance records benefit from:
- Continuity of learning in lessons.
- Improved performance in examinations.
- Support and guidance with coursework.
- Maintaining friendships.
- Developing good habits for adult life.
- References for further education or employment highlighting their reliability.
We therefore ask for your support to keep absenteeism to a minimum, so that we can prepare your son/daughter effectively for their future.
If your child is absent from the Academy you must telephone the Attendance Line (0113 2630741) on the first day of absence before 10.00 am and provide a reason.
If we receive no confirmation of the reason you will receive a phone call home from our attendance officer.
After an absence from the Academy, you must bring a separate letter (not just a note in your planner) for your Form Tutor on the day you return to explain the reason for absence
On returning to the Academy it is your responsibility to catch up on work missed
If your child is absent for more than 3 days then you will receive a phone call home or a home visit to see if any support is required.
If your child's attendance drops below 96% it will be monitored.
If your child's attendance drops below 90% then they will be put on the persistent absentee list.
Actions that could be taken:
- Home visit letters
- Letter 1 (2 weeks to improve)
- Letter 2 (2 weeks to improve)
- Letter 3 ( parents/carers will be invited in to a meeting to discuss their child's attendance and a formal contract will be drawn up)
- If there are still no improvements your case could be passed on to the authorities for possible prosecution in either the Family or Magistrates court.
Your child must be in their form room for 8.30am. Students arriving at any time after 8.30am will receive a late mark.
Holidays in Term Time
The following policy will apply from September 2013:
- No holidays will be authorised for students in Key Stage 3 (Years 7-9) and Key Stage 4 (Years 10-11) and Key Stage 5 (Years 12-13) as the lessons they miss will have a detrimental effect on their GCSE'S, A-Levels and academic success.
As an academy we recognise that financial pressures and work commitments sometimes make it difficult to take holidays outside of school time. However you cannot avoid the fact that your son / daughter will only have one chance to get their education right and in order for the staff at The Farnley Academy to do their very best for your child we ask that you support us in this matter.
If you choose to take an unauthorised leave of absence then you may be at risk of a £120 fine from Leeds City Council.
Attend to Achieve
|Attendance during one school year||Equals days absent||Which is approximately weeks absent||Which means the number of lessons missed||Absences over 5 years|
|95%||9 Days||2 Weeks||50 Lessons||¼ Year|
|90%||19 Days||4 Weeks||100 Lessons||½ Year|
|80%||38 Days||8 Weeks||200 Lessons||1 Year|
|70%||57 Days||11 ½ Weeks||288 Lessons||1 ¼ Year|
|60%||80 Days||16 Weeks||400 Lessons||2 Years|
|50%||100 Days||20 Weeks||500 Lessons||2 ½ Years|